In my ongoing quest to make our family healthier, I am continuing to try more meatless meals. I have been a fan of tofu since my stint as a vegetarian in college (and order it every single time I eat at Rumbi's--the orange veggie bowl with tofu over brown rice...Can you say YUM?!) but had yet to introduce it as part of the meal rotation for the family.
This morning at Albertsons as I was realizing that the chicken breasts I was stopping to pick up before I had to run to work, were actually on sale at Safeway, a package of tofu caught my eye and I changed our mealplan from a chicken stirfry to a tofu stirfry. Fast forward to the dinner table. Gabrielle sticks her fork in a chunk of tofu and says, "Man this chicken is tender." I give her a funny grin and she says, "What?"
"Well, it's not chicken." I say. "Oh. Well what is it?" she asks. "Ummm. It's a little like soft cheese."
She's looking pretty doubtful by now and says again, "What IS it?" "It's tofu." I reply. Meanwhile, Evie has practically cleaned her plate already ("Told you I was starving mom.")
So long story short, Evie and Tyler loved the tofu. Gabrielle and Dennis voted next time I make their stirfry "the right way", with chicken. But the good news is the transition from white rice to brown rice was seamless! And if anyone has an "in" at Rumbi's, I would LOVE the recipe for that orange sauce!
No comments:
Post a Comment