Friday, April 9, 2010

Hearing Check

So, as most of you know, I walk my kids (and three neighbors' kids) to school every morning. And every morning since they started riding ahead of me (when I was pushing a 1 month old in a stroller and they were on their bikes) they wait at the streets for me to come up and tell them it's ok to cross.

Evie is obviously no longer a one month old in a stroller, and now joins them in racing ahead of me on her hand-me-down scooter, which she thinks is THE best thing since candy. So yesterday morning they are waiting at the street to cross, and as I approach I say "Look both ways" and before I can complete my sentence, Evie yells out "The coast is clear" and all six kids bop into the street, right in front of a car.

Now mind you, this car was not super close, was not going fast, and I can't even say it was a near miss. But nevertheless, they crossed in front of a car, so on the other side I stopped them all and asked what happened.

The response?? Tyler says "You always say "look both ways the coast is clear" when it's okay for us to cross. We didn't know it was Evie who yelled it." Ummm, no Ty. What I have been saying for FOUR years now is "look both ways AND GO IF IT'S CLEAR."

2 comments:

  1. ingrained behavior, gotta love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure if I'm suppose to check funny o rnot :-) Gotta love the selective hearing..

    ReplyDelete